Friday, April 29, 2011

Evening walks in another land

I'm now in the USA and Spring is everywhere. I have been enjoying my evening walks and even the brisk, cold breeze, coupled quite often with the drip, drip, drip of Spring drizzles, hasn't killed my yearning to be outside when dusk falls :-)
I have been enjoying watching Spring burgeon. This is the very first time that I have the chance to watch this season. I have never been in Northern climes at this time and I am thoroughly enjoying what I see. Outside where my son lives there are wild ducks nesting: Canadian geese nest in the reeds at the nearby lake and fly overhead with their haunting cries. I have seen robins--looking, to me, a lot like our mynahs, but with redbreasts. There are other birds I cannot yet identify. We got to see some wild rabbits and my grandson and I saw a dead skunk.
I love how the trees are budding with new life. There are trees with only flowers on them, bushes with bright yellow leaves, daffodils dancing in the breeze, in two colours. There are pink flowers, which I was told were jonquils, and little blue flowers and, what I presume, are tulips in shades of red. The weeping willows look magnificent to me, swaying elegantly to and fro, dressed in lime green. Everywhere the signs of new life are there. I love it all.

2 comments:

  1. Happy you are enjoying your visit here this time of year. I love watching everything growing and seeing more birds than usual, some that used to leave before winter have stayed the past couple years since I feed them so much. Some of the things you are seeing haven`t gotten that far here yet as we are just now starting to warm up more. The apple tree blossoms and the lilacs ( only partly opened now) are smelling great, but since we expect the rain to continue all next week, it probably will knock off most of the blossoms. Hope the weather in Chicago is better so you can contimue to enjoy walking and seeing even more while you are there. Love, Dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great when you get to see and experience nature in another country - like being a little kid again all wide eyed :) Enjoy the rest of your time with your family. Smiles*!*

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoy my scenery! Please leave a comment if you do.