Saturday, March 30, 2019

Thirsty!

It has been very hot here, where I leave and we are apparently going through a heatwave, by Kerala standards.  There has been no rain for around 2 months now, which is not usual here.  So, the ground is dry, and the wildlife has very little water.
I have a birdbath on the ground, in my yard.  I have seen various birds come to drink and the crows having a bath, each waiting their turns politely.  I have seen squirrels and a cat come and drink from the bowl.  I try to see that the stagnant water is thrown out and fresh water put in once in 3 or 4 days.  Yesterday I saw a squirrel come by and drink water, after making sure there was nobody around.
But this evening I saw an interesting sight.  The water tank next door was overflowing and I saw a racket-tailed drongo fly over to where the water was overflowing, sit on the pipe and drink it's fill.  The water was flowing quite heavily too, not a dribble.  I never thought a bird would drink from flowing water.  I have only ever seen my Labrador retriever drink like that.  What thirst does!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hope you enjoy my scenery! Please leave a comment if you do.